APPROXIMATE ANNUAL SALARY -
PAY GRADE: 31
For more information on benefit and retirement programs, please see the sections below.
In order to receive consideration, applicants must indicate their availability for any work type, travel, and location requirements listed.
Work Type: Permanent, full time vacancies as they may occur
in this geographical location.
Transportation Technicians perform a variety of technical duties related to traffic and roadway characteristics on State highways; install traffic monitoring devices; perform minor repairs on traffic control and monitoring equipment, and compile and maintain detailed records and information.
This position is located within the Planning/Traffic Information Division, Las Vegas. The incumbent will supervise and assist in the collection of traffic data Statewide for short-term vehicle classification/counts, speed studies, signal warrant studies and pedestrian/bike studies; supervise the repair and maintenance of continuous traffic counters. Women and under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Nevada Department of Transportation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information (GINA), or gender identity and expression.
In order to be qualified, you must meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience (Minimum Qualifications)
Graduation from high school or equivalent and four years of progressively responsible technical experience in collecting and recording data related to traffic and/or roadways; OR one year of experience as a Transportation Technician III; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
As a condition of employment, pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must first submit to a pre-employment screening test for controlled substances.
Additional Position Criteria
Tell us how you heard about this position.
This positions require a valid driver's license at the time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
If offered this position are you willing to travel 50% of the time or more?
TRANSPORTATION TECHNICIAN 4 - (07.714) Training and Experience exam
The exam will consist of a rating of training and experience weighted 100%. It is essential that applications include extensively detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. Your score will be based on the information provided in your application and your responses to the questions asked below. If there are several parts to a question, answer each part separately. Along with each answer, identify the position(s) and/or training (as described in your application) where you gained the background asked for in the question. Absence of experience/training asked for in a question is not necessarily disqualifying. Failure to answer the questions will result in a score based solely on the application.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview.
1) Describe your work experience , including number of years, utilizing State NDOT rules, regulations, policies and procedures as it relates to personnel issues. Be detailed in your response.
a) NAC experience
b) NDOT Sharepoint experience
c) Other NDOT/State resources.
2) Describe your Experience as a lead worker utilizing supervisory practices and procedures.
a) Scheduling the work of others
b) Overseeing work assignments
c) Other lead work experience.
3) Describe your experience interpreting construction plans as it relates to loop/sensor placement in roadways.
a) Placement as it relates to safety issues for technician safety or motoring public
b) Logical placement, i.e., electrical vs. striping detail to obtain accurate usable data
c) Other interpretation experience.
4) Describe your experience in the preparation of statistical reports utilizing traffic data, to include reporting findings and making recommendations. Document the type of recording equipment used to obtain the data.
a) Experience with Diamond or JAMAR recording equipment to obtain data
b) Additional study recommendation due to field observations, i.e., a new stop light placement, etc.
5) Describe your experience, including number of years, utilizing intermediate Excel. Be very detailed in your response.
6) Describe your experience in basic research principles and methods, to include:
a) traffic or accident data collection; and b) coding and tabulation of numeric data.
7) Describe your experience, including number of years, in the installation and operation of traffic recording equipment and/or training of others in this equipment.