APPROXIMATE ANNUAL SALARY -
PAY GRADE: 29
For more information on benefit and retirement programs, please see the sections below.
In order to receive consideration, applicants must indicate their availability for any work type, travel, and location requirements listed.
Accounting Assistants perform clerical accounting work in the maintenance of accounts and accounting records for State agencies.
Incumbents function as first-line supervisors who train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; assign and review work; and initiate disciplinary action.
This position is with the Department of Business and Industry, Administration Services Division in Carson City. Under the supervision of an Accountant Technician 1, the incumbent will perform data entry into NEBS for work programs and budget preparation, as needed. The incumbent will monitor and maintain the Budget Account Tracking (BAT) documents, including updating projections and reconciling payroll to the Budget Status Report (BSR). The incumbent is also responsible for initiating, reviewing, and approving expenditures for lower level Accounting Assistants. The incumbent will perform research to correct errors on documents and spreadsheets to ensure accuracy and integrity; review purchase orders and process requisitions, making recommendations to the supervisor regarding fund availability for the purchase; process and reconcile electronic incoming funds; and will supervise three lower level Accounting Assistants. *** THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED. APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. ***
In order to be qualified, you must meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience (Minimum Qualifications)
Graduation from high school or equivalent education and four years of progressively responsible clerical accounting experience which included duties such as responsibility for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and/or other accounting data; developing computer spreadsheets to record, track, organize, and report accounting related data; researching and interpreting financial data to prepare reports and respond to budget and accounts related inquiries; reconciling accounts; and making corrections through the use of journal vouchers; OR one year of experience as an Accounting Assistant III in Nevada State service which included clerical accounting duties as described above; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience as described above.
Accounting Assistant IV - 02.300 - Training and Experience exam
The exam will consist of a rating of training and experience weighted 100%. It is essential that applications include extensively detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. Your score will be based on the information provided in your application and your responses to the questions asked below. If there are several parts to a question, answer each part separately. Along with each answer, identify the position(s) and/or training (as described in your application) where you gained the background asked for in the question. In order to receive credit, the experience claimed MUST be documented in your application. Absence of experience/training asked for in a question is not necessarily disqualifying. Failure to answer the questions will result in a score based solely on the application.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview.
1) Describe your clerical accounting experience, including the number of years, in the following areas: a) Payroll experience; and/or b) Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable experience.
2) Describe your experience in the following:
a) lead worker experience; b) supervising a small staff of 3 or less; and/or c) supervising a large staff of 4 or more. Please be specific in what your lead worker/supervisory duties entailed (e.g. discipline, evaluations, etc.).
3) Describe your experience, including your level of responsibility, for developing and/or revising of procedures.
4) Describe your experience, including the level of proficiency (e.g. beginner, intermediate, etc.), developing spreadsheets. PLEASE NOTE: You may be required to demonstrate your spreadsheet ability at an interview.
5) Describe your level of education: a) 3 credits in accounting; b) 6 credits in accounting; c) 9 credits in accounting; d) 12 credits in accounting; e) Associates Degree in Accounting; or f) Bachelors degree in Accounting. **PLEASE NOTE: TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE ATTACHED TO YOUR APPLICATION AT TIME OF SUBMITTAL TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THIS EXAM QUESTION**
The following additional questions are part of this Recruitment
1) Do you have experience using the following State of Nevada financial applications: IFS-Advantage Financial System, HR Data Warehouse, DAWN, and/or NEBS? If so, please indicate your level of experience (Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced) and describe where and when you obtained this experience
2) Do you have experience processing at least two of the following transaction types: accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, and/or financial reconciliations? If yes, please describe where and when you obtained this experience.