APPROXIMATE ANNUAL SALARY -
PAY GRADE: 46
For more information on benefit and retirement programs, please see the sections below.
In order to receive consideration, applicants must indicate their availability for any work type, travel, and location requirements listed.
Work Type: Permanent, full time vacancies as they may occur
for another 19 Days 12 Hrs 22 Mins
Incumbents function as managers who train, supervise and evaluate the performance of subordinate supervisors; develop policies and procedures; and allocate staff and resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
Under administrative direction, plan, coordinate and direct the law enforcement activities and operations of a geographical region in a large division within the Department of Public Safety (DPS); serve as the deputy chief of a small to mid-sized division charged with responsibility for complex investigations; or serve as the chief of the records and identification bureau.
THE LIST ESTABLISHED FROM THIS RECRUITMENT WILL BE USED FOR FUTURE VACANCIES THAT MAY OCCUR STATEWIDE FOR ALL DIVISIONS. THE EXAMINATION WILL CONSIST OF AN ORAL BOARD WEIGHTED 50% AND RATING OF YOUR TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE WEIGHTED 50%. Qualified candidates will be scheduled for the oral board examination on 1/24/2018 or 1/25/2018 depending on candidate pool. THIS YEAR THE ORAL BOARD INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD IN CARSON CITY. Southern Nevada candidates will be able to do a video conference from Las Vegas. There will be no rescheduling of examinations outside of scheduled timeframes, therefore be prepared to attend the examination at your scheduled time. Also, there will be no phone or video conference of examination unless a DPS HR Representative is on site. Please attach all documents for the T&E to your application. If you need to submit any additional documents the deadline is 1/19/2018. PLEASE NOTE: WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION DO NOT HAVE TWO NEATS WINDOWS OPEN AT THE SAME TIME AS IT CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
In order to be qualified, you must meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience (Minimum Qualifications)
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business or public administration, criminal justice or related field and two years of management experience which included supervision of law enforcement personnel, budget preparation and monitoring, and participation in the development of policy and procedures; OR two years of experience as a DPS Lieutenant in Nevada State service; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Incumbent must meet firearms qualification/certification standards and proficiency requirements as established by agency policy.
This position is subject to call-out or call-back.
Statewide travel is required.
Working evenings, weekends, and/or holidays is required.
A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
If there are five or fewer qualified applicants, the exam will consist of an application evaluation. (This statement does not apply for Until Recruitment Needs are Satisfied (URS) announcements).
DPS CAPTAIN (13.203)
Oral exam is weighted 50%.
The oral board examination will be comprised of a panel of subject matter experts who will ask work situational questions to which your responses will be rated. The work situational questions will test the candidates knowledge skills and abilities required at entry level to DPS Captain and as posted on the Class Specification
The exam will consist of a rating of training and experience weighted 50%. It is essential that applications include extensively detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. Your score will be based on the information provided in your application and your responses to the questions asked below. If there are several parts to a question, answer each part separately. Along with each answer, identify the position(s) and/or training (as described in your application) where you gained the background asked for in the question. Absence of experience/training asked for in a question is not necessarily disqualifying. Failure to answer the questions will result in a score based solely on the application.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview.
Training and Experience exam is weighted 50 %
1) Have you completed the Nevada State CPM program and/or law enforcement command school, i.e., FBI, Northwestern? If yes, please attach the appropriate documentation of completion.
2) Do you have college credits or an Associates, Bachelors, Masters or Ph.D. degree in Criminal Justice, Organizational Management, Business or Public Administration, or related field? If so, please list eh courses or degree you have completed, and attach copies of your transcripts or diploma.
3) Please list all POST certifications beyond Basic you have received and attach copies.
4) Describe any law enforcement management experience you have. Include the employer and dates which coincides with your employment history listed on your application.
5) Please list any verbal or written communication classes you have taken in addition to the college coursework you identified in Question #2. Attach appropriate documentation of completion.
6) Describe any experience you have in grant management, analysis, or writing. Please include employer and dates to coincide with your employment history on your application. Please list the training you have received in this area to include the training institution and dates. Attach appropriate documents of completion.
7) Describe any experience you have in conducting pre-disciplinary hearings. Please include employer and dates to coincide with your employment history on your application. Please list the training you have received in this area to include the training institution and dates. Attach appropriate documentation of completion.
8) Describe your experience writing specificity of charges. Include the employer and dates to coincide with the employment history listed on your job application.